Does the high price of gas have you thinking about whether or not to take your summer vacation this year? This doesn’t have to be the year of the staycation if you don’t want it to be. Here are some tips for taking your vacation and saving money too:
Look for the lowest price of gas. You can do this with many phone apps or with a little planning before you go.
Make sure your car is running in good condition.
- proper tire pressure
- remove any unnecessary weight / objects from your car that aren’t needed
- stay at or under speed limits
- avoid traffic jams (at other times than rush hours)
Comparison shop for more than the price of a night at a hotel. What else does the hotel offer?
- Some will offer a shuttle service (you can forgo the rental car).
- Some will offer you gas reimbursement.
- Pick a central location so you can walk, take public transportation, or bicycle.
Rent your car away from the airport. This can save you money on taxes and fees. Compare the costs of an airport pick up versus another location. Even with the cab fee, it could be cheaper to rent your car away from the airport.
Remember your membership benefits. Many memberships, including AAA, AARP and more, offer discounts. All these savings can add up. Check online before you go for discount admissions to places.
A little planning can add up to taking a vacation instead of staying home.