I keep a Gratitude Journal. Every night before bed I write down 5 things I am grateful for. Here are some financial examples from over the years:
- I was able to pay more than the minimum on my credit card bill
- I sold an item and put the $40 towards an extra payment on my student loan
- I worked an extra hour and that money will go toward my car loan
- Got a flat tire today. Was able to pay for the repair with my emergency savings and not with my credit card
- The store credit card bill was lower than I expected
- I paid the bill before the bill arrived
Acknowledging my successes kept me motivated. It was no small effort and I needed all the help I could get.
You are on the path to paying off your debt. This is a long journey and there will be many challenges. You may want to quit before you get there. Don’t.
Congratulate yourself for taking the first steps. Celebrate all the good work you are doing and will do. Remember to celebrate with something that isn’t going to give you more debt. For example, we love to treat ourselves with summer picnics in the park where they show free movies or concerts.
We want to hear from you! Tell us how it’s going. What you share may inspire others to keep going.