It’s summer – hurray! But with summer comes the possibility of storms and power outages. This has been a year of unpredictable weather. Are you prepared for whatever comes next?
These are things we have to think about.
- Batteries: Needed for flashlights and/or lanterns, battery operated radio, etc.
- Water: If you have well water, have water stored in containers (both drinking and for washing). Your pump will not work without electricity.
- Non-perishable food: We all have some canned food, but could you make a meal with it? Do you have a manual can opener to use when the power is out?
The difference between winter and summer storms is the outside temperature. With this being summer, you have to think about preserving and using the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
- How long will it last?
- Do you have grill supplies handy to grill the food if necessary?
- Do you own a cooler to store food if need be?
If you hear of a possible storm coming, take precautionary steps before it strikes.
- Turn up the temperature in the fridge and freezer (food will last longer).
- Fill up the gas tank on your car (gas stations can’t pump gas without electricity).
- Get cash (if there are stores open they may not be able to accept credit cards).
- Charge your electronics
- Get bottled water if needed and be prepared to live without life’s conveniences.
The more you do to prepare, the better you will be able to weather the storm in your own home.