Thursday, November 15 is America Recycles Day!
I have always been someone who recycles. My mom started me recycling when we were growing up. That all I knew and we still continue to this everyday in our household. We separate our deposit cans/bottles to return to the store, we sort our plastic, metal and glass for trips to the town’s transfer station and we shred and recycle our paper items.
For those other items, we participate in special days throughout the year. Here are a few in our area:
- Light bulb day – we are able to turn in used light bulbs for new ones
- Prescription / Over the counter medicine – we turn in on that day of the year
And now, we have America Recycles Day this week. You can turn in a variety of items in your local area. For more details of what is available in your area, go to America Recycles Day. In addition, Staples has make this day a week long event from November 11 to the 17, they will accept your old electronics and give you a coupon towards your next purchase (see Staples for details).
For more information on places to get rid of items, please check out my resources page for more suggestions. If you have a place that you use that’s not on our list, please let us know.
If you want to reduce what coming in, here are some other great links:
- Phone Books https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/
- Unwanted Mail / Catalogs www.DMAChoice.org, www.OptOutPrescreen.com & www.CatalogChoice.org
- Phone Calls www.DoNotCall.gov or 888-382-1222.
Take advantage of this and other recycling days in your area.